“We can either run away from pride or run towards humility.”
These are the words of a dear friend, and they struck a chord on me. After days, months, years of striving to fix myself and to eliminate my weaknesses, hearing these words was so encouraging, invigorating, and convicting. When he said that, what I heard was this:
“You can either run away from your sin or run towards holiness.”
What a concept! I’ve always had the mindset of chipping away at my sinful nature, slowly changing myself under the headline “I’m allowing God to change me.” However, change and holiness and righteousness all evolve from our pursuit of the Lord in response to His initial love and pursuit of us. Indeed, we are already made holy in that God’s love has singled us out and set us apart for His purpose! The knowledge of this grace and love should cause us to run towards Christ; our focus should be on Him and not wholly on our sin.
In the same way, repentance should not simply involve us turning our backs on our sin, but rather turning our faces to the Lord. Our hope is in Him. After all, our walk should not be full of desperation to stop sinning; rather, our walk should be day by day, minute by minute rejoicing in the joy that salvation brings. We will never be good enough, but we are saved. We are spoken for.
May our strivings cease.
I’m done trying. Tonight, I’m allowing God to erase the guilt and shame piled upon me by Satan night after night, as I lay in bed unable to sleep for the deep regret and confusion of my sin. My sins are accounted for, and I am set free. May our eyes be forever set on our Redeemer. May we never forget that we are reconciled to God, and because of this, we are able to run to holiness.. we are able to run to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment