Euangelion. Gospel. Noun.
Euangelizo. Gospel. Verb.
This kind of threw me off at first. I wasn't expecting to see a noun and a verb on the page when I looked up the Greek word for Gospel. But then it occurred to me: of course. Of course the Gospel is a noun and a verb. What a beautiful marriage between two parts of speech, between two truths surrounding the most powerful message the Scriptures breathe.
The Gospel by itself is beautiful. It is scandalous, it is enrapturing, and it is freeing. It allows oneness with our Creator, it allows freedom from sin, it allows hope in a heaven where we will be praising our Father in glory and absolute perfection for literally ever.
But what is the Gospel without sharing it? What would it be if we kept it to ourselves? It makes absolute perfect sense that armed with the Gospel, we go and Gospel. We go bring the Good News to those who would have no knowledge of it otherwise. This beautiful story is not just an anchor of hope and assurance; it is a command.
And, as God's commands often are, it is far from a chore that must be ticked off the list by the end of the day. It is a natural habit that occurs when one has been permeated with the truth that is the story of Jesus Christ. How can one keep such a wild and beautiful thing to him or herself? I love that our Maker has created us in such a way that when we are consumed by Him, the only thing that will bring us joy is loving and glorifying Him through our obedience to Him.
Of course, I will be the first to admit that the Evil One and my own humanness often hinder me from obeying my Father. Evangelism doesn't come naturally to the old me. But praise Jesus, evangelism comes naturally to Him, and by adorning myself with Him, I adorn myself with His character.
I love the Gospel. I love that it saved me from both myself and from the Evil One. I love its simplicity. I love that the Love flowing from it is more than enough to cover my sins. I love that it simultaneously assures me of the forgiveness of my past, commands and helps me in the now, and promises an eternal future with the Adonai.
A noun and a verb. Who knew? I certainly didn't until tonight, at least not technically. It's perfect. I am so amazed by God's ability to take even the smallest of details and breathe such meaning into it and into my heart.
The Gospel. Revel in it. And then go Gospel.
No comments:
Post a Comment